The Actor’s Body in Space
This workshop explores the pre-expressive level of an actors physical training and prepares the intuitive and sensory body for working with mask and character practices. The work concentrates on developing an actor’s physical self-knowledge; heightening sensitivity and awareness to the whole body in space; and exercising the muscle of attention.
The training investigates responsiveness on impulse, physical presence, sensitivity to qualities of movement, and kinaesthetic connection to others. It also explores the actor’s physical memory, so they can retrieve what they improvise and develop it.
Through a conscious pairing away of unnecessary social habits the actor will discover confident, clear, and simple expression. We explore how authenticity and sincerity in action gives movement density and significance, and through silent improvisation the actor’s expression moves beyond the ‘everyday’ and into a state of calm and presence.
- The intuitive body listens to internal impulses and discovers the difference between premeditation and impulse.
- The mind ceases to define experience and in its place the actor’s senses are aroused, responding to the internal or external stimuli affecting them.
- Tuning into the essence of a movement the actor discovers how the slightest external change can influence them internally.
- Through kinesthetic practices, the actor’s retrieval faculties engage, seeking the physical memory of improvised pathways.
- The actors centered body discovers a neutral starting place, unimpeded by the self, without distortion or unnecessary effort, drawing attention to the body’s points of resistance, and integrating the body in a single image.
- Responding on impulse; heightening kinesthetic and spatial awareness; exploring body memory and retrieval; strengthening presence; refining sensitivity to qualities (essence) of movement; awareness of physical habits; creating physical actions.
- An introduction to the Neutral Mask – the universal soul; the point of departure
- (Neutral Masks are from France and New Zealand)
The early bird booking fees are available until the following dates:
- Brisbane – March 24, 2019