Embodying a Character
In this workshop each participant will experience a total immersion into the creation of two dissimilar characters.
We will look at the intricacies of the human condition and how inner life is revealed through a person’s body, rhythm & use of space. All bodies are the result of a specific history and circumstances and the whole body tells our story – the arm, the knee, the feet, the back, these too can be reflections of the inner person.
Through the integration of movement training and structured improvised play, you will learn to embody a character’s circumstances, beliefs, and emotional and social makeup, and experience these physically.
By placing a specific weight, a particular alignment, a tempo, a direction in space, by finding where the breath is centered, and by exploring to what extent the muscles are taut, the actor organically discovers through their own body, the physical experiences of the character.
Exploring what happens to a body under specific conditions
- Experiencing ‘outside – in’ practices and how they affect the performer internally
- Total immersion into characters
- Structured play – deepening emotional connection and physical embodiment
- Creating dramatic situations—building on the work explored (in longer intensive workshops only).
- A total immersion into the creation & development of a character
- Specialised expressive movement training
- Discovering the authentic voice of the character
- Examining and retrieving physical explorations
- Structured improvisation – group work
- Creating devised etudes
- There are no masks used in this workshop
The early bird booking fees are available until the following dates:
- Adelaide – September 1, 2019