Embodying a Character
In this workshop you will experience a total immersion into the creation of two dissimilar characters. You will learn how to authentically transform yourself into these two characters physically, vocally, emotionally and mentally. You will develop these characters through interaction with other characters in group and paired improvisations, and finally you will create a devised piece with both the characters that you have developed. We will look at the intricacies of the human condition and you will discover and experience how a person’s internal make-up is revealed through their body, rhythm and use of space. All bodies are the result of a specific history and circumstances, and the whole body tells our story – the arm, the knee, the feet, the back, these too can be reflections of the inner person.
Through the integration of ensemble movement training and group improvisations, you will learn to embody a character’s circumstances, beliefs, emotional and social makeup, and experience these physically. By placing a specific weight, a particular alignment, a tempo, a direction in space, by finding where the breath is centered, and by exploring to what extent the muscles are taut, you will organically discover through your body, the physical experiences of the character. You will also learn how to minimalise a character’s physicality to suit any medium, including film.
(*There are no masks used in this workshop).
- Exploring what happens to a body under specific conditions
- Experiencing ‘outside – in’ practices and how they affect the performer internally
- Total immersion into characters
- Structured play – deepening emotional connection and physical embodiment
- Creating dramatic situations—building on the work explored (in longer intensive workshops only).
- A total immersion into the creation & development of a character
- Specialised expressive movement training
- Creating and developing self-devised pieces
- Discovering the authentic voice of the character
- Examining and retrieving physical explorations
- Structured improvisation – group work
- Individual feedback
There are no masks used in this workshop
The early bird booking fees are available until the following dates:
- Adelaide – September 1, 2019